POETIC is igniting a movement to reject the notion that youth can be bought and sold. We imagine a world where all children are equally valued.
*Does not include Social Shares.
POETIC builds a pipeline out of the juvenile justice system and into intensive aftercare programming for girls who have experienced commercial sexual exploitation and sex trafficking.
Through an intensive aftercare model that includes an on-site school, 24/7 access to their therapist and caseworker, art therapy, and paid internships, POETIC is reclaiming the future for trafficked girls.
- Estimated 79,000 youth victims of sex trafficking in the state of Texas.
- Estimated $99 million generated annually through the illegal sex trade in Dallas alone.
- A girl’s life expectancy drops to only 7 years when she’s being victimized by sex trafficking.
- $161,300 annual cost to taxpayers for a girl at Dallas County Juvenile vs. only $12,000 annual cost for a girl to participate at POETIC.
- 100% of POETIC girls begin paid employment within the first 3 months of program participation.
- 90% of POETIC girls on-track to achieve high school diplomas (as of February 2019).
- POETIC strategically targets and pursues vulnerable girls better than local sex traffickers. POETIC’s breakthrough partnership with Dallas County Juvenile ensures that girls identified with a history of trafficking and exploitation are referred to POETIC prior to discharge, so POETIC can equip girls to re-enter the community through their aftercare model while avoiding re-victimization.
- POETIC’s four-system approach – an on-site school, trauma therapy, creative arts therapy, and paid internships – is rooted in research and directly combats the issues that perpetuate re-victimization (issues like poverty, under-education, generational incarceration and generational trauma). POETIC is the only outpatient anti-trafficking agency in the country delivering these comprehensive services under one roof.
- A 2017 GAP Analysis on domestic minor sex trafficking identified the lack of national standards of care for child sex trafficking victims. To meet this need, POETIC is validating and publishing their “Pipeline to Success Model” so they can train organizations across the country to implement and scale the impact nationally.
- POETIC’s social enterprise, the POETIC Design Co., takes on paid design projects from local companies that create $12/hour internships for POETIC girls and generate revenue to be reinvested in the POETIC aftercare program.
- POETIC’s training platform (to be formally launched next year) will generate revenue outside of traditional funding sources to sustain POETIC’s work while scaling the impact of POETIC’s evidence-based model nationally.
Annual Operating Budget